Monday, November 3, 2008

Mediterranean Lasagna "Recipe"

This isn't going to be much of a recipe, so much as a just a list of ingredients to assemble... but that's how things like lasagna (and sandwiches) go, right? When I was brainstorming with Alicia about meals for this week, she suggested trying a lasagna of some kind. I don't know why, but I have an odd aversion to pasta with red sauce or meat sauce, so when people say "lasagna" my mind immediately goes to white sauce lasagna. I had a vague memory of having made a tasty Mediterranean Lasagna when I was in high school but, when I searched through my recipe archives, the version I found didn't seem like what I was now craving. Here's what we made instead, which ended up being far better than I had hoped. (I had random misgivings prior to baking because this isn't the type of thing I usually make, but those misgivings turned out to be wholly unfounded...) I will definitely make this one again.

Mediterranean Lasagna
  • 9-12 dry lasagna sheets (depends on how they fit in the pan)
  • 500g chicken breasts, grilled until just cooked through and chopped (fairly finely)
  • 2 red bell peppers, roasted under the broiler, peeled, and roughly chopped
  • 2 yellow bell peppers, roasted under the broiler, peeled, and roughly chopped
  • 3 large leeks, halved lengthwise, cleaned, and thinly sliced then sautéed in 2T of butter until very soft and beginning to color
  • 250 - 300g Danish feta
  • 1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1 batch of Béchamel (see below)
To assemble the lasagna, put a thin layer of Béchamel in the bottom of a 9" x 13" baking dish. Add a layer of lasagna noodles, then top with about half of the chicken, peppers, leeks, and feta. Add a layer of Béchamel (mine was pretty thick, which is how I like it, so it doesn't really "drizzle" so much as it just "glops"...) and top with another layer of lasagna noodles. Top with remaining chicken, peppers, leeks, and feta and another layer of Béchamel. Add another layer of lasagna noodles and cover with Béchamel, adding additional sauce around the edges as well. Top with grated Parmesan and cover the dish with foil. You can throw this in the fridge at this point until you're ready for dinner.

Bake the lasagna at 375° Fahrenheit for about 30 minutes or until bubbly and beginning to brown on top, removing the foil after the first 15 minutes.

Serves 4-6.

Béchamel*
   6T butter
   3/4 - 1 C flour
   6 C milk
   2 bay leaves
   fresh nutmeg, finely grated on a microplane grater
   salt and pepper
Melt the butter in a saucepan, then stir in the flour and cook briefly. Add the milk and bay leaves and bring to a boil over moderately high heat, whisking constantly, until thickened. Season to taste with nutmeg (about 1/8 teaspoon?), salt, and pepper (remembering that the feta and Parmesan will both contribute saltiness to the final dish).


*I wasn't really paying attention to what I was doing when I made the Béchamel, so this is only a rough approximation and also wasn't really made the way the classic version of the sauce is. Adjust the consistency as needed with more milk or more flour...

No comments: